Print this Page. Send this Page.


The purpose of the mobility-option in the third semester is to offer students a wider range of opportunities to develop their own ideas or collect research data for their master's thesis.

Students of the M.A. Transcultural Studies have the choice to spend the third semester in Heidelberg doing course work or go abroad for a research internship or study exchange. 

Study Exchange

Heidelberg University offers numerous study exchange opportunities. In general, we encourage students to apply for more than one option as places, especially at prestigious universities, are highly sought after.

Info flyer


Partner Programmes of the Cluster "Asia and Europe"

At this moment the Cluster can offer its students the following opportunities, which are tailored specifically to the M.A. Transcultural Studies.

- Kyoto University, Asian Studies Unit


Tokyo University, Graduate School of Public Policy


- Seoul National University, Graduate School of International Studies


- Yale University, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences


Partner Programmes of other institutes in Heidelberg

Students who want to focus on China, Japan or Korea might furthermore want to take a look at the partnerships of the Centre for East Asian Studies (ZO).

Correspondingly, students with a regional focus on South Asia, especially India, should study the international partners of the South Asia Institute (SAI).

NOTE: Please read both of these websites carefully as not all of these partnerships might include study exchange opportunities or they might only be open to students from the ZO or the SAI, respectively.    



The ERASMUS programme will be of interest to students who prefer to stay in Europe.

General information on ERASMUS (website in German only), the programme’s requirements and deadlines as well as a list of Heidelberg's partner universities is offered by the International Relations Office.
Our partner institutes have a number of ERASMUS agreements that, due to their disciplinary and regional foci, might also be of interest to students of the M.A. Transcultural Studies:

Furthermore, MATS students can apply for a semester at the Hebrew University Jerusalem within the framework of the ERASMUS+ programme.

The coordinator for ERASMUS at the ZO is Prof. Dr. Harald Fuess, professor for Cultural Economic History at the Cluster. Please contact his administrative assistant, Ms. Nora Bartels, if you have specific questions beyond the information provided on the ZO website.

Please address questions regarding other departments' Erasmus exchanges to the contact people named on each homepage.


Kyoto Joint Degree

Students of the MATS programme have the opportunity to get the Joint Degree Masters in Transcultural Studies which includes two semesters at the Graduate School of Letters at Kyoto University. Further information can be found here.

Mandatory Test Scores English


IELTS: 7.5 or higher (7.5 in each sub-score)

TOEFL IBT: 105 (25 in each sub-score)

Cambridge Mphil in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Japanese Studies)

IELTS: 7.5 or higher (7.0 in each sub-score)

TOEFL IBT: 110 (25 in each sub-score)

SOAS London

IELTS: 7.0 or higher (7.0 in each sub-score)

TOEFL IBT: 105 (25 in each sub-score)

Research Internships

Students who want to combine fieldwork with gaining work experience, may opt to do a research internship abroad or in an international organisation.

In the following we have collected a few starting points for your individual planning:

Contacts for more information

Info-room 139 (website in German only) at the International Relations Office offers information material and individual advice on studying/interning abroad.
Info-room 139 can be found in Seminarstrasse 2 on the first floor. Opening hours are: Mo/Wed/Thu 10am-3pm, Tue 10am-4pm and Fri 10am-1pm.

For questions about exchange programmes as well as ERASMUS opportunities through the Centre for East Asian Studies or the South Asia Institute please contact the respective coordinators mentioned on the linked websites.

You may, of course, also contact the programme coordinator about options for your third semester. The coordinator can also advise you on whether your final choice fits into the study plan of the M.A. Transcultural Studies.
NOTE: Responsible for scholarly advice about and grading of your internship is your academic advisor.



For a consultation please arrange an appointment by e-mail to

Please note that emailing in advance is mandatory for all students including potential students if they would like to have an appointment.


Takuma Melber
Karl Jaspers Centre
Voßstr. 2, Building 4400
Room 222
69115 Heidelberg
Tel: +49 - (0)6221 / 54 4323
Fax: +49 - (0)6221 / 54 4012